All organizations that use IT depend on IT to be successful. If IT processes and IT services are implemented, managed and supported in the appropriate way, the business will be more successful, suffer less disruption and loss of productive hours, reduce costs, increase revenue, improve public relations and achieve its business objectives.
ITIL is a public framework that describes best practice in IT service management. It provides a framework for the governance of IT, and the management and control of IT services. ITIL focuses on the continual measurement and improvement of the quality of IT service delivered, from both a business and a customer perspective. This focus is a major factor in ITIL’s worldwide success and has contributed to its prolific usage and to the key benefits obtained by those organizations deploying the techniques and processes throughout their organizations. Some of these benefits include:
- increased user and customer satisfaction with IT services
- improved service availability, directly leading to increased business profits and revenue
- financial savings from reduced rework or lost time and from improved resource management and usage
- improved time to market for new products and services
- improved decision-making and reduced risk